Friday, December 30, 2005

Ad Nauseum

That pretty much covers what I think about the whole New Year's Eve spectacle. For me, NYE is like Prom night. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Lots of buildup and not much fun. Of course, it was fun in college. And I did enjoy a few parties in my early 20s. But, the older I get, the less interested I am in socializing with Other People. (There are people I like/love and everyone else is Other People). I stopped going to NYE Parties about 10 years ago. I have gone and had dinner with friends. But, I returned home safe and snug by 10:30 p.m. Thankfully, The Man has the same thoughts about NYE that I have. So we two cranks stay home.

This year presents a new problem - the weather. Where we live it is a balmy 80 degrees with the sun shining. Nice weather on the weekend totally rips me up, and here's why: The tape that runs in my head says that I must be "productive" on the weekends. It starts the moment my eyes open on Saturday morning. If I haven't completed a list full of tasks by noon, I start to freak out. I'm serious now, a full on panic attack about not being productive. Usually, The Man or The Best Friend has to talk me off a ledge.

My favorite NYE and NYD is to have HORRID weather. Cold, rainy and preferably sleeting. Then, there is no guilt about staying in my jammies ALL day and eating NOTHING but black eyed peas. I usually like to have a stockpile of movies, books and magazines, too. Napping and eating blackeyed peas are the only mandatory activities.

So, this year I've got my books, magazines, movies, etc. But, dammit, I've got that tape in my head too. I guess I'll have to enlist a glass of Fat Bastard to help with that.

What all are you doing this weekend?

10 Comments:

Blogger wordgirl said...

Same here...movies, books and eating something we'll make here. When the kids were little, we really had to improvise since we couldn't go to the parties where we'd been invited because there were no available sitters out there except Son of Sam and Ted Bundy. Now that the kids are older, no one's having anything worth attending. Plus our kids end up having more of a social life than we do that night. Ahh, the wicked irony of life!

1:35 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

We have children; we'll do nothing. Perhaps a movie, maybe some PS2 action. Low-key, because if I overdo it I might be sleep through the New Year...because I'm wild like that.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I hear you! I'm so sick of the giant buildup for NYE. All I want to do is curl up in pajamas and watch the Twilight Zone marathon (if they even still do it).

6:30 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

We are going to a "grown-up" nice party tonight. I am always paranoid about driving on this night but since we didn't get home until 1:30 this morning from a dinner party last night we probably won't stay out til midnight.

Happy New Year!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's some fun: www.heartless-bitches.com. Who cares about another new YEAR... when you can celebrate self in this totally new WORLD. Enjoy.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I am going to be at 9 and cussing at the partiers who let off fireworks at midnight. I am a total fud on NYE.

Sorry about the tape in your head. I turn mine off, with a sledge hammer and I find that works well.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

The only people that like NYE are under-age drinkers and the newly in-love. Some friends are having a bonfire until 9, at which time we send all the kids to bed, throw back a couple Jamesons and call it a night at 9:15.
Happy New Year SV!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous TB said...

I call NYE amateur night and do my best to stay off the streets. We spent a quiet evening with friends and chili.
The rest of the weekend will be spent taking down the tree, lazing around as much as possible since I already power cleaned my house today, and possibly taking in The Ringer, which is getting good reviews.
Hope you enjoyed Airplane! Do you like to watch movies about Gladiators?

12:13 AM  
Blogger cmhl said...

NYE-- I agree-- I always feel like making it something noteworthy, but it never is..

I love new years day though.. and I agree, rainy weather would be perfect, no guilt!

I have a low limit for black-eyed peas though..

10:58 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Oh shit, I totally forgot about the black-eyed peas. No WONDER my New Year's Day kinda sucked!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

php hit counter Terror Alert Level