Saturday, December 10, 2005

Perfectionistic Procrastinator

Hello! Good Saturday to Everyone!

I know I haven't posted in several days. You see, I'm not really a writer. I'm more of an emailer. Every now and then I write something funny. Then, I feel this overwhelming pressure to write something funny again. Something with great timing and pitch perfect. I will stare at the computer until my eyes bleed trying to figure it out. As a result, I end up putting it off for another time. I realize that I'm that way about a lot of things. I've worked in an office for five years without putting anything up on the walls because I couldn't have it just the way I wanted (due to lack of funds).

So this week, I've been "writing" an ad for The Kid's high school yearbook. He is a senior this year. Typically, parents, family and friends place ads in the back of the yearbook congratulationg the graduate. Well, I didn't want to just slap Congratulations in an ad and leave it at that. I'm the Stepmom. I have a very special relationship with The Kid. He's the best thing since sliced bread. So, WHAT DO I WRITE??? Something funny? Something deep and meaningful? Something instructive? GEEZ THE PRESSURE.

As I said before, I'm no writer. I'll never be in the league of say...Wordgirl. Whenever I try to write something serious, it always sounds overwrought and preachy. I'm generally not thought of by most of my friends as sentimental or weepy. But my love for The Kid is so deep and profound that I wanted him to know it. So, my freakout continued through the week. The Ex-Wife called and assured me that the draft I had written was good and truly the way to go. So, I've typed it up and picked out photos and I'll drop it off Monday to the yearbook staff.

So, here it is:

"When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, you become Real" - Margery Williams from "The Velveteen Rabbit"

Dear Kid - Thanks for Making Us Real.

Love Dad and SV

Any thoughts?

4 Comments:

Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

It's perfect! I got tears in my eyes. It's so true too. My children have made me "real." Sometimes really crazy, or really angry but overall just really head over heels in love with them.

12:28 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

You so funny! Me talk lika you one day. Hokay?

6:23 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

That is so sweet. I love hearing that you have a good relationship with your stepson. It warms the cockles of my heart!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I think that's great. And I feel just like you write. Awesome.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

php hit counter Terror Alert Level