Saturday, January 21, 2006

Multiple Personality Disorder

Dear Internet,

My company called for volunteers to go to help out our offices in another state. My boss came to me and asked if I would be willing to go for two weeks. A simple question for most people.....but in Shrinking Violet's brain....a violent storm is a brewing....let's look in...

SV's Pre-Counseling Knee Jerk Reaction in Her Head: "Volunteer??? Of course!!! Help out!!! Of course!!! Take on More Burden??? Of course...because I'm your go-to girl....sacrifice...it is my favorite thing....martyr myself...no one better....look at the scars I've already amassed from flinging myself on others problems....I've spent my LIFE giving up so others can be happier...I'm a PRO at it..IT IS HOW I DEFINE MY OWN SELF WORTH"

SV's Pre-Alanon Brain: "ARE YOU KIDDING???? Who will keep my husband sober and taking his bipolar meds???? Who will make sure he is happy and on the right track? Who will make sure the Earth spins correctly?"

Boss: You can take The Man and The Dog with you.

SV's Pre-Alanon Brain: "THAT'S IT!!! We'll rent a hotel that takes dogs. We'll drive two cars. We'll endure extra expense that we cannot afford. That way, I can monitor the Man and keep him sober and make sure he takes his meds and keep him happy happy happy."

Boss: Or you can go by yourself and treat it like a little respite.

SV's Post-Alanon Brain: "Two weeks away from the mildly retarded dog...SWEET!!! Sign me UP!......Two weeks with out another WWII retrospective on the History Channel...I'M THERE!....TWO WEEKS WITH A THERMOSTAT SET AT ABOVE ARCTIC TEMPERATURES? WHERE DO I SIGN???"

SV's Normal Brain: "I know the first night will be great. The rest of the time, I'll miss the hell out of the dog and the man. If you really need me to go, I'll go. Otherwise, I'll stay."

Actual words spoken by SV: "I'll let you know on Monday".


Here's a picture of part of the Man's Winter Harvest:

17 Comments:

Blogger Mignon said...

Go! GO! GOGOGO!!!
There are so many reasons to give yourself some time (and the remote control) to yourself.
I'm extremely jealous of your travel opportunity, and of those magnificent tomatoes!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

You forgot the most important part, where are you supposed to go? I agree, go, it's quiet and pretty great to have some time like this.

What a harvest. He sure knows how to make things grow.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

This is a toughie. I say you postpone the decisionmaking and grill up those veggies.

2:57 PM  
Blogger wordgirl said...

1) Resist the temptation to martyr yourself. It isn't really martyrdom if the people you're doing it for don't give a damn in the first place.

2)Tomato make me gag long time.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Those are some beautiful veggies. Are cauliflower and broccoli hard to grow? Or should I be asking The Man? ;)

Hope whichever option you go with, it works out well. 2 weeks is a long time to be anywhere that's not home!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my advice: stop thinking. Stop whining. Stop planning. Stop tyinng to make the entire world happy. Stop discounting your worth like a garment in Filen's Basement. Stop. Stop. Stop. Instead, trust life. Trust your gut. Trust God. I'm pretty sure the Good Lord will take care of The Man and MRD while you are away. Unless you were put on this earth to care for him? Hmmmm....The only question then is whether or not you want to go? Does it help your career as your name is "rung up the flagpole" for advancement. Do you want advancement? No one is going to GIVE you these things. You have to ask for it. Demand it. Want it. Own it. Just STOP and listen to your gut. Come Monday morning, you'll know what YOUR answer is and not The Man's.
(Yeah, it's.easier said/typed then done. I know you know I know.) This too shall pass......

8:32 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

Mmmm...cauliflower. Mama loves cauliflower.

I'd be tempted to go. ;)

4:52 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I, too, have Hubby/medication issues, and yet I left him alone for ten days last February while I drove to Florida to visit my grandmother. He survived. So did the dog. Go & enjoy!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

Do it. Go. It will be fine.

5:01 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Enough already. Go. You didn't marry the man to be his mother. It would probably be good for him AND the dog to exist without you for a few hours.

If I tell you that you have great looking tomatoes, is that nasty?? Well, you do.

4:49 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

Where would you have to go? That's key. If there is sunshine and a pool or ocean, I say go. Absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder.

Can you send the Man over to cultivate some veggies at my house? We have the ability to make only weeds and invasive plants grow.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

If the location is a remote Caribbean island where the pool boy looks even better bending over - GO! You are a wonderful writer, I'm sure you could write a very loving message on one of those "Wish You Were Here" postcards to The Man.

I'm not sure it's fair that your last 2 posts have made me hungry. Between the bread and the veggies, I'm starved.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane said...

I like Debbie's answer.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Shrinking Violet said...

I'm going. Leave Thursday. There will be lots of good food. Although I'm going to be very careful so as not to let the binge eating thing get the best of me. I can't say where I'm going just because of the anonymity thing. And, DUH, if were a CARRIBEAN ISLAND I would have SOOOOO written a different post...it would have the title "so long, farewell, alfverdizein, adieu" or however you spell it.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Here's a knee jerk response. You have to do what's right for you, for your home life, and your career. The job sounds interesting. It's not everybody who is asked to volunteer for special situations. Is the compensation worth it? Do you feel valued or stepped on? Will this help your overall career? You could stay in touch with your husband, and if you are really concerned about him maybe a friend or relative could visit him while you are away.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mental health newark can be a devastating disease that affects millions of individuals and families. Find the right mental health newark program for yourself or a loved. It will be the first day of the rest of their or your life.

You can get more assistance at http://www.healthlistings.com .

6:57 PM  
Anonymous best affiliate programs said...

How is Everyting in YOUR LIFE... Waste your money and your only out your money,but waste your time and your out part of your life... Michael Leoboeuf

Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten dollar hair cut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair... Sam Ewing

If You Find a need to become part of the best affiliate programs so you make a few extra bucks.. go to http://7day2success.com/ ....best affiliate programs...best affiliate programs....

Live a better life today..

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

php hit counter Terror Alert Level