Sunday, February 05, 2006

Superbowl Sunday

Sorry, but I can't think of a witty title today. I'm very tired. I really can't explain why. I've been in Louisana for 10 days. I work all day, then come back to the hotel and essentially get in bed and stay there until morning. It could be that I'm not wearing nicotine patches anymore. Those things do give you a bit of a "boost" each day. So, that might explain the lethargy. Or, it could be that I'm really exhausted from not sleeping well at home and I just have the opportunity to crash here.

It's really strange because my hotel room is just as tired as I am. Not dirty....but really, really, tired. This hotel is only about two years old. But it has been host to a multitude of Katrina families for the last five months. This particular room is meant to sleep two at most. I'm quite sure a family of six to ten were here before me. I'm not complaining. Those people need a place to lay their heads. But my room talks to me at night. It says stuff like this.....

"I'm so tired....I wan't meant for this....look at my pillows...mere wisps of pillows....barely thicker than the cases that cover them...the electrical outlets gave out the 300th time a child stuck a toy in them...

I was meant for the business traveler...you know...just basically someone who works on a laptop and then leaves to go to meetings....I wasn't really meant to be lived in...1/2 the lamps in the suite no longer work.....the tv that swivels no longer gets cable on most of the channels because its been swiveled way too much...the phone cord is coming unravelled and the wires exposed....I mean...who ACTUALLY uses the phone in their room anyway.....the carpet is coming up in the doorway.....

And, the staff, ....look at the....they look like they've been to hell and back....still as friendly as ever....never has their been staff (INCLUDING MAIDS) that have been any nicer...but GOD they need a rest....they don't even bother to shut, much less lock, the continental breakfast storage room....if you want it...go get it......

Bless this place...and these people. They are so tired. But they are so nice and friendly and helpful to this visitor even in the face of all of their problems. I've had no choice but to be nice, friendly and helpful right back at 'em.

12 Comments:

Blogger No name said...

Oh my...it will be so much better when you can get home. Just reading that made me feel sad for you in your sad little room with the ever-happy staff (thank god for at least that much!) Hang in there SV!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I am sure it has been one helluva year for those folks. I'll bet they are glad to see you, as you represent some return to normalicy for them.

Travel always makes me tired.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your trip.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Nice, friendly, and helpful can go a long way. I'm glad to hear that, even if you're tired, at least you don't have to put up with, rude, surly, and obnoxious.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Ooooh, I got tired just reading that. I really love how you describe things though. Even a "tired" hotel room.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

SV, I love it that you are forgiving and kind to your tired little hotel room and the tired hotel staff. That speaks loads about you.

I wish I could copy your post and send it to the hotel headquarters. So many places were not as kind or hospitable (wasn't there some ridiculously callous behaviour by Hilton during Katrina?).

Take care of yourself!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love this post. It painted a vivid picture of where you are. I'm sure those walls have seen so much.

It's wonderful to hear that the staff has been able to keep their spirits.

Hope you're back home soon!

9:54 AM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

I got tired reading this...when will you be home, in your own nest, as my mom used to say?

10:26 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

Even the fanciest hotel room is not home, is it? How wonderful that the Katrina victims have had an opportunity to stay warm and safe there.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Shrinking Violet said...

I should arrive home some time late Friday evening on the 10th of February. Thanks for all of your kind thoughts! The people here are really lovely.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I hear you. But for ENTIRELY different reasons. Hope you're home safe and sound soon.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I don't know why it posted my comment twice, but I deleted the second one. Sorry!

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

php hit counter Terror Alert Level